Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Thirty Minutes On M 52...Finding the Silver Lining


We did it. A few weeks ago Mr. Z and I purchased a Harley Davidson. It's red. It's comfy. It's fantastically loud. Beyond that you will have to ask him the details. 
He has been a rider for many years. I had some experience as a passenger while in college. It was time we took to the road together.

I started this above entry on May 7, 2017. One week before our accident, I had titled it "Who Are Your People?" How things change...
I figured I'd use this time of recovery to document the process. Just as I did my divorce and journey to new life. Because this is a new life. A learning process for me, for Terry (no longer just Mr Z), for us as a couple.

I'll start with the weekend of May 14, 2017. That weekend we had traveled to Ft Wayne, IN, Goshen, IN and back home. All on the Harley. Loving each minute. The wind, the smell, the sounds, open fields, other riders giving the Harley wave. We were close physically yet had our minds to ourselves. 

Then on Mother's Day we woke to another gorgeous sunny cool day. We rode the bike to church. After we had lunch with our tribe then set out to ride up to Hell, MI on our way to see my kids for Mother's Day in Chelsea. When we arrive in Stockbridge, MI we realized we didn't have enough time to make it to Hell and back in time. (shouldn't we all have that thought ;) ). We put on our Harley coats as it was cooler than we had originally thought and headed toward Chelsea. *note-we always wore helmets, it was never a question. 

We had been following the same old Ford pick up for miles. We came to a roundabout and what we didn't realize was the truck was down shifting the entire time through and out of the roundabout. Next thing we knew...brake lights. Not slowing down brake lights...stopped brake lights and no turn signal as he was turning into the convenience store. Terry's only safe option was to lay the bike down. He held on and rode it out for about 50 ft. I came off the back when the trunk hit. The woman who was the witness behind us said I went "flailing down the road". Not clear on what flailing means or looked like but I imagine it wasn't graceful. 

First responders, state trooper, EMS...all arrived in moments. At least to me. Terry might have a different take. 
I had lost consciousness for a short period of time... Although I also believe adrenaline and the mind will help protect us from certain memories...so off to University of Michigan as I was considered a trauma case. I find humor in that as well. 

Friends arrived to be with us. *note-be sure they can handle the description of your injuries and they won't start to pass out...only adds to the colorful story later :). Terry was checked out. Some gravel in his hands, small patches of road rash on his shoulder, elbow, and knee. Otherwise my strong love was healthy and safe. Me? A total of seven fractured vertebrae, three broken ribs, hairline fracture in my pelvis and tailbone, level 2 lacerated spleen, hematoma on the right adrenal gland, and road rash on my right calf. ( Later we will find an abscess on my right gluteal flank which is probably the bulk of this healing process and several blog posts). 

I spent four days in the Burn/Trauma unit. Excellent nursing care. Most excellent. 
What we discovered later...I was in a silver lining. The gowns and sheets are lined with silver for the burn patients. Seems like they saved me too.
I had one treatment to my road rash, which was the size of my fist. Silver lining. I didn't need surgery for my spine or spleen. Silver lining. Terry healed quickly. Silver lining. We believe strongly in Harley gear. Our injuries and rash would have been a thousand times worse. Silver lining. Terry had placed the folded church bulletin in his back right pocket. He burned a hole in the back pocket and it started to burn the bulletin, but not his bum. Sliver lining (and lesson to keep your church bulletins with you). Friends helped prepare our living room to become the master bedroom for the summer. Silver lining. Friends came to sit with me so Terry could go to work. Silver lining. My children came to take care of me, made meals, let me read to grandbabies, and loved me beyond what I knew was possible. Silver lining. 

Right now Terry and I are looking for the next silver lining. We had grand plans this summer. Plans for the house. Plans for the yard. Adventurous plans for the bike. Travel to see friends and join in celebrations with them. The only answer we have been given is...Slow Down. 
Slow down and look for your silver lining. 






No comments:

Post a Comment