Last post I introduced you to KCI Wound Vac.
My dandy little friend that goes with me everywhere. Every. Where.
Let me give a little more detail to our relationship.
There is a sponge that is cut to the size of my wound. Placed on the wound. Tubing. Adhesive bandage over most of my bum. Vac is turned on. Canister collects the yuck.
For those of you who are medically or technically curious here is a simple diagram.
What we have been working on since June 3 and rapidly since June 21 is the granulated tissue and new tissue growth.
I had a wound that measured 30 centimeters x 30 centimeters. This was not all an open wound but also included tunneling. Think pita pockets on my bum.
Two weeks ago we got the word that it was time for surgery.
The wound measures 6.5 centimeters x just under 7.5 centimeters.
It has lovely granulation.
Red and meaty.
Hopefully we are at the last stages of this journey.
Originally they had mentioned a skin graft.The skin graft was dumped due to the amount of movement, stretch, twist, etc on the bum.
The surgeon felt that a graft would not take well to that area.Remember, I cracked my crack.
Alas...I will join the ranks of Joan, Meg, Michael. Plastic Surgery.
They will take the healthy under layers and pull them together.
Taking my O shaped open wound and making it a | shape.
Wound vac back on. Goal is for a shorter period of time. Month maybe?
The surgery is outpatient.
I have joked that maybe there will be book where I can pick out the bum I want.
I am grateful for laughter. It does promote healing.
I'm grateful for advancement in medical research for the KCI Wound Vac. I know without it I would not be at this stage of recovery.
Thank you for your prayers, candles, happy dances, and well wishes.
Monday it is.
See you on the backside.



No comments:
Post a Comment