"Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid
of it or what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you will
ever own." Mary Schmich
Almost every woman I know who just read that quote will now cringe. I'm right there with ya! I have struggled with body issues and my self esteem for...well, too long. It's only in the last year or so that I have started to accept my body. My self esteem is pretty rock solid except when I have to do that online dating stuff (that is a whole other post when you need to laugh.)
When I say I have started to accept my body I realize I am not where I need to be physically. I accept what I have accomplished and I am amazed by how my body has changed and continues to morph. I acknowledge what I do like about my body and honestly accept compliments.
- I lost nearly 40 lbs over the last year. That is a huge accomplishment. There is further to go, but I know it's possible and keep trying. It's hard and a pain in the butt.
- By losing 40 lbs I am thrilled by how my body has changed. (Yes, hurrah for diet and exercise) My flexibility, stamina, and overall outlook improved. How can I not feel good? I went by the fit of clothes, not the scale. Still do.
- My eyes. My gray hair. My smile. My freckles. Love them!!! Not ashamed of them. I try to flaunt them.
If you are just starting...or restarting...or re restarting...on this body image road I suggest you find one or two things you know are beautiful about yourself. I know this can be hard. Painful at times. I encourage you to do it though. You have beauty. If you are struggling with that think of what you receive compliments on the most. Your hands? Legs? Ears? Skin tone? Your baby toe? whatever it is...OWN IT! Then when you get that compliment ... look them in the eye and say "Thank You!"
I heard a fact on the radio the other morning that most women think men begin to lose their looks at 30. Men tend to believe women start to lose their looks at 40.
Possibly only 20-30 year olds were polled? I fully disagree.
Your thoughts? What makes someone attractive?
No comments:
Post a Comment