
In the beginning I needed some quality armor. I wanted something like Kate made William. Light, flexible, yet fashionable. In the early weeks and months I would wear it daily. Fully. Every single piece was put on with purpose. I felt like I was walking into battle every day. Basic conversations with an acquaintance could lead to a silly simple question on their part, but would be a blow to my forearm. I would reply "It's only a flesh wound" but underneath I would nurse a open gash. Like William I would keep going for my love...for MY love. I put that armor on and fought for my self love. Not selfish. Just to love myself again. Slowly I became better at observing my opponents and calculating their next move. I was not going into battle against everyone I knew, but I was aware of who was with me and who was a possible threat. I knew which pieces of armor I needed in certain situations. Did I need a helmet, breast plate, gaunlets, spaulders, greaves? And how much chain mail that day? Eventually I could get by with specific pieces for specific situations. The helmet and breastplate were always needed when I spoke with Ed. Gauntlets and spaulders were worn in meetings or when I ran into acquaintances I hadn't seen in a while to help me deflect words. By preparing and observing I was able protect myself. I don't think I came off as defensive(too often) but I made sure that my love was protected. I became stronger. I saw my real beauty and strength.
Now? Occasionally I need to pull out the helmet or a thin layer of chain mail to get through a day. I have been honoured with the self title of Dame.
I find I have to pick and choose my battles....sometimes it's not even worth suiting up :) I am working to get to where you are with certain people.....mostly at work. Your flesh wound comment compelled me to find this link:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_cUTmQykc
Picking battles is key.
DeleteOften I will cover my pain with humor. Therefore "it's only a flesh would" would make my opposition laugh and I could turn away and scream.